News & Events
EM Nurse Director Bev Kress nominated for Excellence in Leadership Award
Bev Kress, Nurse Director for the Emergency and Critical Care departments at UC San Diego, has been nominated to receive the 2013 Excellence in Leadership Award for San Diego during the 36th Annual ACNL (Association of California Nurse Leaders) Conference.
EM Nurse Karen Mitchell receives scholarship from Association of California Nurse Leaders
Karen Mitchell has been awarded a scholarship for pursuit of a doctorate degree in Healthcare Organizational Leadership as well as had an accepted poster titled, "ED Community Placement Project (EDCPP); an innovative method for managing ED frequent users" during the 36th Annual ACNL Conference.
EM Fellow Adel Al-Marshad was regonized at the National Saudi Healthcare Innovation Competition
Dr. Al-Marshad was awarded 2nd place out of 217 entrants in the competition for his medication adherence app involving behavior modification alerts.
Welcome to our new Residents, Class of 2017!
A warm welcome to our incoming residents in July of 2013. Click here to read more about them.
EM Resident Sow Kobayashi, MD, published in the New England Journal of Medicine.
Dr. Sow Kobayashi had a video published in the NEJM. Click here to view the publication.
Professor Ted Chan, MD, recognized at the White House
Dr. Ted Chan was one of 82 physicians recognized at the White House for achievements in Health Information Technology. Click here for more.
Nas Rafi, MD, recognized for life-saving efforts
Dr. Nas Rafi was recognized in the Vancouver Sun for her heroic efforts in aiding a cyclist who was hit by a car. Click here for more.
Amanda Lamond, MD, recognized in the National News
Dr. Amanda Lamond was recognized in the national news for her story of becoming a physician against insurmountable odds. Click here for more.
Associate Professor Jim Killeen, MD nationally recognized for Outstanding Achievement in Information Systems
Dr. Jim Killeen was one of four national awardees for Outstanding Achievement by the Association of Medical Directors of Information Systems.
- EM Residency highlighted in the new $70 million UCSD Sim Center. The UC San Diego School of Medicine has opened a state-of-the-art medical training center — the first since the medical school opened in 1968 — fulfilling a longstanding desire by UCSD to bring all of its training programs under one roof.
- Ted Chan, MD, David Guss, MD, Jim Killeen, MD, Ed Castillo, PhD, and the UCSD Dept of Emergency Medicine awarded $15.3million grant from ONC on behalf of the San Diego Beacon collaborative to expand health IT innovation throughout the region. Announced by Vice President Joseph Biden and DHHS Secretary Sibelius from the White House.
- UCSD's Emergency Medicine Residents came in first place in the ACEP/EMRA Simulation-Wars at the 2010 Annual American College of Emergency Physicans Conference in Las Vegas.
- The Department of Emergency Medicine deployed three physicians to Haiti to provide medical care to earthquake survivors: Drs. Christian Sloane, Colleen Buono and Sean-Xavier Neath. Drs. Neath, Buono and Sloane were selected as "Real Heroes" for their efforts in Haiti by the San Diego/Imperial Counties chapter of the American Red Cross.
- San Diego County Medical Society along with San Diego Magazine places several of our physicians on the 2009 Top Doctors List: Ted Chan MD, Richard Clark MD, Jim Dunford MD, David Guss MD, Chris Sloane MD, and Gary Vilke MD.
- Daniel Davis is awarded the NAPH for Best Patient Safety Program for UC San Diego's Comprehensive Inpatient Resuscitation Program
- Ted Chan, MD, Jim Killeen, MD, Colleen Buono, MD, along wit Bill Griswold, PHD (Computer Science) were awarded a $2.6 million grant from NIH for project titled WIISARD (Wireless Internet Information System for Medical Response to Disasters)
- David Guss, Ted Chan and Gary Vilke are named Top Reviewers for Annals of Emergency Medicine
- Jim Dunford is awarded a Public Service Award for his role as the Medical Director for San Diego Project Heartbeat
- Eddie Castillo, Ted Chan and Gary Vilke are awarded an evaluation grant from the California Healthcare Foundation to study ambulance diversion in California
- Jim Killeen, Ted Chan and Eddie Castillo are awarded two grants from the county of San Diego and Pacificare/United Health to electronically link hospital EDs and local area community clinics
- Kama Guluma received part of an NIH P-01 program project awarded to study external counterpulsation as a treatment for acute ischemic stroke
- Jim Dunford is awarded the Vic Kops Humanitarian award for his role as the Medical Director for the Qualcomm Stadium Aid Center in the 2007 Wildfires